One of the things you need to make sure of as a property owner is that you have positive interactions with your tenants. When you do a move-in walkthrough, you can engage in these interactions with your tenant. Both you and your tenant will be able to benefit a lot from a move-in walkthrough. Let’s look at these benefits for property owners and a few best practices for making the most of your move-in walkthrough.
Rethinking the Move-In Walkthrough
Too often, the move-in walkthrough is viewed as more of a tenant’s responsibility than something a landlord does. This kind of thinking only leads to missing out on benefits for both parties; benefits that come from allowing a move-in walkthrough. A walkthrough works best for both move-in and move-out. The process of a move-in walkthrough is quite simple: the landlord and tenant walk around the property to check if there are maintenance issues that need to be looked at before the tenant actually moves in.
It’s a smart move when Bixby property managers take the move-in walkthrough seriously. Here’s why that is.
- It makes it possible for you and your tenant to trust each other. Walking through a property with your tenant speaks to your credibility as a landowner — your personal interest in keeping your property well taken care of. Also, it is a good way to get your tenant’s feedback, if any. Tenants who feel confident that their landlord will respond in positivity will be more likely to bring up smaller issues; hence, helping reduce repair costs. When the opportunity presents itself, you could even review the “house rules” with your renter. In these moments, you can establish good relations with your tenants so as to build good and healthy rapport.
- And, it helps to have the actual deductions from the deposit right at the end of the lease. For the move-out time to be smooth, you need good documentation of your property’s condition before your tenant moves in. This can help you better gauge wear and tear and other repair issues and provide ample evidence to support any deductions you make from your tenant’s security deposit.
Walkthrough Best Practices
To really experience the full range of benefits that come with a move-in walkthrough, make sure you follow best practices. Here are a few:
- Schedule a walkthrough with your tenant. If possible, ensure a set time that you and your new tenant can conduct a move-in walkthrough together. This face-to-face interaction will be a good way for you and your tenant to bond and have a good exchange to get to know each other better.
- Use a checklist. A move-in checklist is something you can go over with your new tenant. And then, make sure you give your tenant a hard copy of this checklist. This is a good demonstration of your willingness to be open and transparent with your tenant by setting the expectations clearly.
- Take photos. If there are potential problems you find, make sure to take pictures to document them properly. These photos will serve as references for repairs and when you will need to check the property for the move-out walkthrough.
The value these move-in walkthroughs provide is really good; however, they tend to take a good amount of time. If your rental property isn’t anywhere near your residence, then this will mean more time allocated for the process. With help, however, from someone who knows exactly what to do in these kinds of situations, it can be hassle and stress-free. At Real Property Management Abound, we provide a full range of services that help rental property owners make the most of their investments. Call 918-984-4433 today to learn more!
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.